FRIDAY MAY 11th 2018
John Lyon’s Theatre, City Lit, London WC2B
£25 (+ booking fee)
Inexpert 2018 is an experiment. A not-for-profit gathering that celebrates the power of inexpertise and the practice of being playful with not knowing.
In a world pre-disposed to speaker events where we are invited to listen to those with knowledge and answers, this event aims to do the opposite. To explore what happens when we gather together to listen to speakers giving talks they’ve never given before, on subjects that they have a mighty curiosity about but no expertise in. Talks inspired by the question “I wonder what would happen if…?“
CALL FOR SPEAKERS
Fancy speaking at Inexpert 2018? There are a limited number of speaker slots but we would love to hear from those who would like to speak. As this is the first ever Inxpertise conference we’re not entirely sure what we’re looking for but it feels helpful to give some guidelines for speakers below. Please take a moment to have a read of these before you apply.
- Whilst this is an event about inexpertise and not knowing, we are taking great care in selecting a diverse range of speakers who can truly embody the spirit of this experiment. Therefore there are some strict selection criteria – less about the content and more about the spirit in which the speakers engage with the event.
- We’re looking for speakers to give talks of no longer than 20 minutes on subjects that they are not experts in. At this event we are not interested in knowledge or answers or the benefit of your experience. We are interested in talks that come from a place of curiosity and not knowing. Talks inspired by the question “I wonder what would happen if I gave a talk on….”
- IMPORTANT: We are not interested in talks about the theory or importance of inexpertise and not knowing. We are interested in speakers who can fully embody their own inexpertise and not knowing in front of an audience. We are looking for speakers to simply be inexpert in front of the audience without the need to teach them anything or display any credentials. The more passionately imperfect – the better.
- Speakers are asked to give talks that they have never given before. Talks need not be structured in a traditional way and do not need to have neat conclusions or tangible take aways – in fact, we encourage speakers to try to avoid these and focus more on their own story and experience. The only objective is to embody the spirit of inexpertise and not knowing.
- All talks must be strictly non-promotional, non profiting.
- There is no speaker fee but speakers will get a free ticket.
- Please note that we only have 9 speaker slots for this inaugural event and aim to select as diverse a range of speakers as possible who can truly embody the spirit of this experiment.
If you are interested in speaking at INEXPERT 2018 then please complete this application form.
CALL FOR SPEAKERS CLOSES ON THE 16TH MARCH 2018. WE WILL GET BACK TO ALL SPEAKERS WHO APPLY ASAP AFTER THIS DATE
WE MAY ALSO START TO ANNOUNCE SOME CONFIRMED SPEAKERS AHEAD OF THIS DATE.
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
As this is a not-for-profit event we’d really like a few volunteers to help out. We cannot pay for this help but will reward you with a free ticket to the event.
Here’s some of things we need help with:
- Promotion of the event, press releases, marketing (etc)
- Set construction/design
- Front of house hosting on the day (in a lovely little ticket office booth thing)
- Filming the event
- Photographing the event
If you’re able to help out with any of these then please e-mail email@example.com
Nearest tube: Covent Garden/Holborn
Nearest train: Waterloo/Charing Cross/Blackfriars
Nearest bus: Loads
WHY NOT FOR PROFIT? THE LAB FUND
Inexpertise 2018 is not-for-profit on the basis that as soon as there is a profit involved, the dynamics of the event inevitably shift towards it being ‘value-for-money’ meaning that it is more difficult to maintain the ethos of the experiment. Inexpertise 2018 is sponsored by The Lab and is only possible due to those who have come along to experiment and be experimented on since it opened its doors in 2015. The Lab is a not for profit movement to help people nurture their creative spirit and strengthen their creative communities through being playful with not knowing. The Lab has run a number of 1/2 day experiments over the last two years. The majority of the costs will be paid for by the Lab fund and the minimal ticket price for the event is to cover the costs of hiring the venue and associated promotional fees. Any profits made from Inexpert 2018 will be re-invested in The Lab fund.